[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 08:45:37 -0400

At 1:23 PM -0400 5/13/05, Bob Miller wrote:
>Shapiro is an ignorant nut case. He is as much responsible for the
>present 8-VSB disaster as anyone. But he does express the silent opinion
>of many in Congress and the FCC that OTA is essentially dead. Or was
>this what was planned all along?
>
>I don't see how they are going to explain the rebirth of OTA worldwide
>using COFDM while they try to shut it down in the US. This will be the
>story with the public once the media picks it up. Why they haven't so
>far beats me. I keep thinking some reporter will break the story one of
>these days.

The problem is the irrational notion that you can get something for
nothing. That is, that broadcast TV is FREE.

OTA TV broadcasting is dying in large measure because the underlying
business model of paying for content via the ads is dying, or to be
more precise, that you should pay for TV content AND still be forced
to watch ads too.

If ESPN can get $3/mo per subscriber and still fill all of the
programming with ads, why would the media conglomerates want to
perpetuate the idea that you can pull pictures out of the air for
free? Even worse, why should they share the profits with local
broadcasters who do almost nothing to add value to national content?

As for Shapiro, the CEA got exactly what they wanted from the
broadcasters. The illusion that everyone will need a new TV. Now that
the market for HD displays has reached critical mass, Shapiro can
afford to tell broadcasters that they are dying, as if anyone needs
to state the obvious.