[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 15:53:54 -0400

John Golitsis says my predictions are always wrong. A lot have been but
not on Freeview. From the beginning I have predicted that Freeview would
be wildly successful but my numbers were always proved conservative.
Real sales have outpaced every prediction. The pundits in the UK have
constantly written off Freeview in spite of their accelerating success.

I now predict that this hand held receiver will be wildly successful
even at £270 and no matter how many they make will be over subscribed. I
haven't even seen it and the UK is not set up for mobile though Dibcom
has had success there with diversity reception. For one thing they have
no SFN capability.

Still wildly successful is the prediction.
More channels moving from subscription to ad supported Freeview.
Further and mounting success for TopUpTV.
Six million receivers sold this year.
Bypassing SKY by end of summer in number of users.
SKY stagnate to negative sales by the end of the year, though they might
disguise this, and falling real numbers next year.

All in a country that has a 2K COFDM system and an average power per
transmitter of one kW. That BTW was the ERP power level of our NYC test.
And now you have Thompson joining the party.

Bob Miller