[opendtv] Re: Let them eat cake (and ATSC while they're at it)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:57:24 -0400

At 11:50 PM -0400 5/16/05, Tom Barry wrote:
>I think any backers would have had to buy into that same football
>liability.  Meanwhile some of the Freeview success may have been
>due to the initial purchase price and terms.

There is NOTHING difficult to understand here. It is being repeated
in the US bu USDTV.

When offered a pared down multichannel service at a pared down price
the market is limited, as first you must find people who are willing
to pay, but not willing to pay a bit more for a service with more
content. In the case of OnDigital versus BSkyB, Sky was winning.

When Freeview offered a pared down service for FREE, the dynamics
changed entirely.

USDTV is facing the same challenge, not to mention the ATSC reception
challenge. They are not competitive because they do not offer the
channels that many people want.