[pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, XRadar@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:38:43 -0500 (EST)

From: XRadar@xxxxxxx
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Under exposed frame
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 19:07:05 EST

> Are you saying that by using the 2 filters in separate exposures you
> can produce a paper curve different then can be obtained using a
> single filter setting for one exposure?

Right.

> I always thought that anything that two filters used separately
> could produce could be duplicated with one filter assuming that
> filter was perfect for the contrast needed.

In split filter printing, this is usually the case.

> Or are you taking advantage of some nonlinear paper response to
> extreme filters?

This is taking advantage of nonlinearity of individual silver halide
crystals (threshold effect). In order to do this, the exposure with G5
filter must be very brief so that only the deep shadows areas are
developable when not combined with the main G2 exposure.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."