[pure-silver] Re: How to cool a paper ?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:11:43 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Georges Giralt" <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 2:26 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] How to cool a paper ?

> Hi !
> I'm unable to get my favorite FB VC paper (Forte)
> All I can get is Foma FB VC which is waaaay too warm for
> my taste, with
> even like a creamy base.
> Any recipe, dev. or something else to cool things down a
> bit ?
> TIA !
> --
   For some reason I got this message _after_ it had been
answered by others! Very curious.
   More active developers will produce cooler (bluer) tones
than less active ones but nothing can be done about a warm
toned support. In fact, essentially neutral or cold toned
papers on a cream support will look quite warm toned.
Remember that the emulsion of reflection prints is quite
transparent so the color of the image is determined to a
great extent by the color of the support, except perhaps for
the darkest parts.
   Colder tone developers are Agfa Neutol BL, to some degree
Ilford Bromophen (compared to Dektol), and some you can mix
yourself. Ryuji Suzuki has already suggested adding
carbonate and Benzotriazole to Dektol type developers. This
will help but the image color is mostly determined by the
nature of the emulsion and the color of the support.
   Gold toning will substantially cool the image color since
it is a blue toner but it may not look right on a cream
support.

---