[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 13:32:48 -0800

Craig wrote:

"But the sad fact is that TV viewers have become accustomed to a medium
where cross promotion is nearly as important as the content
itself. Look at ANY TV station, or cable channel, and you will see promos
throughout every show, throughout the day. But this is just
the beginning..."

I realize that you were not presenting an exhaustive list of how they
self-promote, but you didn't bring up one that was recently used and even
made my wife crack up.

My wife likes the show Bones and on an earlier episode this season, they
actually brought characters in from a newly created show on Fox before the
premiere.  Naturally, they also promoted the premiere during the breaks.
The main characters of Bones, the reason my wife likes the show, took
backstage to these new characters as they used the popularity of Bones to
get these new ones noticed for the new show.  Also the premiere of the new
show had the characters from Bones, as well.

So they are actually using their own narratives to promote (not create) new
shows.  Now I realize we have all seen this before, but I am not aware of
it being used so blatantly!

Dan