[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 17:05:47 -0500

Which is exactly why I have always questioned Craig's ideas concerning Internet distribution of TV content.

When MVPDs came onto the scene, did not exactly the same thing happen to the three major TV networks? Didn't their content become diluted by a zillion other cable-only channels? Of course they did. And Craig delights in posting anything that shows a drop in the viewership of major network content.

Aside from the fact that broadcasters have always had preferred placement on cable and DBS systems, I see little of relevance here. Yes, going from five channels to 20 then 40 then hundreds, has led to what you are calling "dilution." But that was to be expected with more choice, and the networks did themselves in by reducing the number of quality programs they offer, increasing ad loads, and producing more hours of "cheap" programming in-house.

Bottom line, independent producers are far less prone to take their content to the networks today, but they have many other potential outlets among the proliferation of cable networks.

But the most important thing is that everything inside those MVPD walls is listed in the Electronic Program Guide, and the cable companies in particular do a great deal of cross promotion of cable networks, just like the broadcast networks do for their shows. I would also note that the EPGs SUCK. You cannot search by program name, actors, actresses et al.

So improved search is something that almost everyone would like, followed closely by the ability to pay for the stuff you find, rather than huge bundles of stuff you don't want.

I guess the important thing to remember here is that having access to tons of content does not assure your ability to find something you really WANT to watch. It's the old 500 channels and nothing on syndrome.

There is huge potential here for someone to re-invent the TV experience.