[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:26:49 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> Early LCDs for the PC market were 4:3 aspect ratio or worse than
>> that (I had a 1.25:1 LCD, for example). Whereas the early LCD TVs
>> came either as 4:3 SD sets, or 16:9 HD sets. But very soon, the
>> SD sets disappeared, the 4:3 aspect ratio disappeared, and for
>> years now, all TVs are 16:9 (well, except that one Philips
>> 2.35:1) and most are 1920 X 1080 now.
>
> What's the point? LCDs are manufactured from huge sheets that are
> cut for the desires product. Aspect ratio is completely irrelevant
> - it is determined by the application. For TV the application
> generally calls for 16:9, although there are models with wider
> screens available.

In short, the point is to say "I told you so." ;)

The very first LCD screens out there were used in portable TVs. Then your
started seeing them in bigger sizes, for TVs, and for computer screens.

BUT

What evolved after that was that the computer monitors became identical to the
TV screens, and NOT the other way around.

Remember when I suggested that "square" PC monitors were soon going to look
ugly and outdated? That's what happened.

> For computers 16:10 is also commonplace.

No, it is not. John Shutt was the one who first pointed this out. 16 X 10 *was*
a common PC monitor standard. They have since given up that silly game, and
they have done what made sense even back in 1991.

Once the TV standard for the future was set to a much more pleasant and logical
wide screen ratio (we can quibble what wide screen was logical but 16:9 won the
day), the next thing is to realize that PC monitors ALSO make good sense in
wide screen, and you make these TVs and monitors the same.

> Who cares?

Evidently, you must. I'm perfectly happy with the way these things turned out.

For example, I'm perfectly happy to see my 16:9 TV screen filled with the image
from on-line streaming, and I'm equally happy to see the PC monitor screen
filled with that same online image, or with the TV image if using an ATSC
receiver card in the PC. It's all for the best.