[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 14:16:43 -0500

Dan Grimes wrote:

 The main characters of Bones, the reason my wife likes the
 show, took backstage to these new characters as they used the
 popularity of Bones to get these new ones noticed for the new
 show.  Also the premiere of the new show had the characters
 from Bones, as well.

I guess I don't understand why we need to worry about cross-promotion, though.

If cross promotion is done during ad breaks, then the network is losing that potential ad revenue. So it's a standard business expense, much like if the network were advertizing on other media. It's an opportunity cost, in this case.

If only this were true. The promos are IN ADDITION to what is already an overly aggressive ad load in the programs. IF they could increase the ad load they would, but the extensive program interruptions are already driving viewers away. The average commercial load for broadcast TV is 8 minutes per half hour; some local newscasts have 10 minutes of commercials per half hour. Promos are on top of that.

If the cross promotion is part of the show, again, where's the harm in that? The show NCIS was started as a storyline in JAG, for example, and spun off. CSIs have done some cross-polination as well. Maybe the particular episode in question is less good than it could have been, or maybe it's better. Many episodes have guest appearances, after all, so I just don't get why we should be indignant.

We have already discussed all of the programming that is in fact promotional. I have no problem with promos embedded in shows, or the lower third promos that keep popping up during program segments. These are just a few of the reasons that I do not watch broadcast TV much anymore except for sports.

So, I don't see why cross-promotion is bad (it does cost them money, after all), and I don't see that this has anything to do with using the Internet as transmission medium.

I don't think the intention was to convince you that promos are bad Bert. Do you remember what led to this?

Dan wrote:

And of course, they do. We have been doing it for years (UNLV.TV). And our statistics are dismal. One could argue it is the programming. I would say we have a couple of decent programs but no one can find them.

The reason the producers of high quality/cost content "live" with the current conglom dominated model is primarily about PROMOTION.

When's the last time you saw someone on Breakfast TV or Late Night TV promoting content that IS NOT under the economic control of the congloms? Have you seen any independent producers hawking their wares and telling Jay Leno that you don't need cable to watch it, just stream it from my portal on the Internet?