[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 08:58:06 -0500

So, you really believe that Britons are demanding HD sets because they think the 576i image will look better than it would on a SDTV?

Yes.

I agree that they have little choice in the marketplace, now that panel displays have virtually eliminated CRTs in all but a few critical monitoring applications.

But your point was that the availability of HD programming in the U.S. was the primary factor driving demand for HD displays. This clearly WAS NOT the case in the U.S. and it is absolutely clear that HD is not the driving force for HD displays in Europe.

The reality is that ALL forms of imagery at multiple levels of resolution and in multiple aspect ratios are driving the uptake of panel displays for a simple reason. These displays do an excellent job of presenting ALL forms of imagery, including the high quality digital component variety that is commonplace in Europe.

And as we see the REAL CONVERGENCE between TV and the web play out, the ability of these displays to properly render and display NON-TV imagery is equally important.

I doubt it. I'd say, more likely, the US HDTV market has made it so the CE companies have little incentive to go on marketing SD sets. When people get rid of their old boxy CRTs, they don't have a choice of SD LED panels anymore.

I doubt that you are even close to being right.