[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:00:07 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> If cross promotion is done during ad breaks, then the network is
>> losing that potential ad revenue. So it's a standard business
>> expense, much like if the network were advertizing on other media.
>> It's an opportunity cost, in this case.
>
> If only this were true. The promos are IN ADDITION to what is already
> an overly aggressive ad load in the programs.

Whether I'm watching from the PVR, or online, prime time shows seem to have the
same 42 to 43 minutes of actual content. I guess that's the only thing that
matters to me. As long as the actual show doesn't keep getting shorter, and it
hasn't been that I've noticed in the past many years, I suppose it doesn't
matter what the breaks are for? As I said previously, online ad/promo breaks
from fox.com, cbs.com, and abc.com now seem to range from 60 to 120 seconds,
usually 60 to 90 seconds.

> I don't think the intention was to convince you that promos are bad
> Bert. Do you remember what led to this?
>
> Dan wrote:
>
> And of course, they do. We have been doing it for years (UNLV.TV).
> And our statistics are dismal. One could argue it is the programming.
> I would say we have a couple of decent programs but no one can find
> them.
>
> The reason the producers of high quality/cost content "live" with the
> current conglom dominated model is primarily about PROMOTION.
>
> When's the last time you saw someone on Breakfast TV or Late Night TV
> promoting content that IS NOT under the economic control of the
> congloms? Have you seen any independent producers hawking their wares
> and telling Jay Leno that you don't need cable to watch it, just
> stream it from my portal on the Internet?

I'm still not getting what you are driving at.

First, the response to Dan has to be, as he knows better than me, if you want
to be noticed on the Internet you need to go to a site (or sites?) that
aggregates enough of your type of content to reach a "critical mass." If the
UNLV TV station gets almost lost in a cable system, it will most likely become
even more lost over the Internet. Unless it waves a big flag, along with other
similar university/PBS stations, perhaps?

The response to you is, I'm assuming that you consider "solutions" like AppleTV
or GoogleTV to be the answer? What makes you think that creating another
bottleneck, along the same lines as MVPDs, would be any different? What makes
you think that Apple, Google, or even your ISP, can resist taking payments from
those with deep pockets, any more than your MVPD does? What makes you think
that AppleTV and Google's TV search engine won't become hopelessly biased to
those same congloms?

The only conclusion I can come to is, you want to limit choice over the
Internet. But allowing any middleman to limit Internet choice is no different
from re-creating the MVPD experience, and crippling the Internet.

My position is straightforward and consistent. Stay away from all of them. Use
general purpose search engines, insist on access to the entire WWW, and be
vigilant about hanky-panky between your ISP and TV content owners (not to
mention any other creator of Internet content), and let the content owners of
all stripes set up their own portals.