[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 15:52:02 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The big difference Bert was the migration from analog CRT displays
> to lithographed displays. CRTs max out around 36" and still have
> major geometric distortions, they are heavy and bulky, and for
> wide screen CRTs these problems are even worse.

True. Those early HD CRTs, from RCA for instance, were gymongous. And worse,
4:3 aspect ratio.

> The turning point was when LCD progressed to the point where large
> screens (>50") became affordable to manufacture, and smaller sizes
> became cheaper.
>
> The TV market was not even the driver in all of this - the LCD
> display market was driven by the computer industry.

Sorry, but this is only half true.

Early LCDs for the PC market were 4:3 aspect ratio or worse than that (I had a
1.25:1 LCD, for example). Whereas the early LCD TVs came either as 4:3 SD sets,
or 16:9 HD sets. But very soon, the SD sets disappeared, the 4:3 aspect ratio
disappeared, and for years now, all TVs are 16:9 (well, except that one Philips
2.35:1) and most are 1920 X 1080 now.

*And*

That's exactly where the PC monitors have gone too!

I've already noticed now that web sites are becoming optimized to just that:
1920 X 1080 resolution displays. Doesn't mean you can't use different
resolution displays, but it means that you get a nice, scroll-free experience
more often that way.

So, it seems clear to me that TV standards have become the new computer monitor
standard, and not the other way around. Parenthetically, I figured it would
happen this way, but of course, you didn't agree.