[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 16:21:10 -0600

Dan Grimes wrote:

> The main characters of Bones, the reason my wife likes the
> show, took backstage to these new characters as they used the
> popularity of Bones to get these new ones noticed for the new
> show.  Also the premiere of the new show had the characters
> from Bones, as well.

I guess I don't understand why we need to worry about cross-promotion, though.

If cross promotion is done during ad breaks, then the network is losing that
potential ad revenue. So it's a standard business expense, much like if the
network were advertizing on other media. It's an opportunity cost, in this case.

If the cross promotion is part of the show, again, where's the harm in that?
The show NCIS was started as a storyline in JAG, for example, and spun off.
CSIs have done some cross-polination as well. Maybe the particular episode in
question is less good than it could have been, or maybe it's better. Many
episodes have guest appearances, after all, so I just don't get why we should
be indignant.

So, I don't see why cross-promotion is bad (it does cost them money, after
all), and I don't see that this has anything to do with using the Internet as
transmission medium.