[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:49:48 -0500

On 2/22/2012 4:52 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:

The big difference Bert was the migration from analog CRT displays
to lithographed displays. CRTs max out around 36" and still have
major geometric distortions, they are heavy and bulky, and for
wide screen CRTs these problems are even worse.

True. Those early HD CRTs, from RCA for instance, were gymongous.

And worse, 4:3 aspect ratio.

Not True.

I have two RCA consumer HDTV sets with 16:9 CRTs, one 34 inches diagonal and the other 38 inches diagonal. They have great geometry and registration.

I will continue to state the fact that the gray scale rendition and detail in the blacks of these CRT sets beats anything made since.

No other types of imagers made can properly reproduce the darkest portions of images without crushing blacks and losing any sense of detail in that region.

Also, the CRT images looks the same from any angle, vertically or horizontally which is not the case for other types of non-CRT imagers.

There are also professional CRT monitors on the market in the ~35K range
just for these reasons.

Cliff