[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 08:51:57 -0800

Bert wrote:

"HDTV took off only when they broke the $1000 barrier."

But how many of those sales were second TVs?  Or does it not make a
difference that people already had an HDTV?

Remember Mark's Monday Memo?  (I miss those, by the way.)  They seemed to
show a lot of HDTV sales while they were still very expensive, while the
ATSC transition had not yet occurred, and the MVPDs had very little HD
content IF people subscribed to it.  Sales were in the millions each week
in a country that only had 4 billion people.  And DVD player sales were up
significantly!  Or am I trying to revise history?

Dan