[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:08:03 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> So as late as 2010, only 13% of UK household had HD programming
> services, but they led the world in HD set penetration.
>
> perhaps we should ask Bert how this is possible.

It's obvious, Craig. There, like here, SD sets are no longer sold. Haven't you
noticed? It's like I said years ago: HD is the new TV standard. It's not a
niche market.

> Oh Wait!
>
> The UK has Freeview which delivers 576 line wide screen digital
> component video that now originates primarily from HD masters;
> just like the movies they have been watching via DVD since the
> late 1990's.

So, you really believe that Britons are demanding HD sets because they think
the 576i image will look better than it would on a SDTV?

I doubt it. I'd say, more likely, the US HDTV market has made it so the CE
companies have little incentive to go on marketing SD sets. When people get rid
of their old boxy CRTs, they don't have a choice of SD LED panels anymore.