[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 16:36:28 -0600

Craig wrote:

"Why don't independent producers just create their own content portals and
stream their content, either for a fee, or 'free' with embedded ads?"

Dan wrote:

"And of course, they do.  We have been doing it for years (UNLV.TV).  And our
statistics are dismal.  One could argue it is the programming.  I would say we
have a couple of decent programs but no one can find them."

That's the nature of the beast. Imagine what local theater actors felt like,
when movies became big time. The few biggest stars were now available to all
theaters in the world. The local actors lost out, having become for the most
part redundant.

When the Internet is used as the transmission medium, this same potential
exists for local broadcasters and also for MVPDs that don't also provide ISP
services.

Did you notice how the article Craig just posted "redefined" (to put it kindly)
the concept of "net neutrality"? In essence, the article explained different
ways of abolishing that idea tout de suite. Did you notice how they even
mentioned "agreements" made with ISPs? I don't know about you, but that article
did not paint a pretty picture to me at all.

I'm not sure what their online ratings are, but it does seem that our local
broadcasters have set up web sites with news and video content. In the case of
WJLA, even a live stream of News Channel 8 cable channel, it looks like. If you
have a favorite local produced show, chances are it's available online, direct
from the broadcaster's site.

Seems to me that small productions would benefit from getting on sites like
Hulu, where they would get noticed by more people.

Or take a look at this site:

http://wwitv.com/

You can get live TV streams from all over the world.

One of my questions is, how come these "smart" or "connected" TVs don't give me
that site (or a host of others)? Is it because they are trying hard to
neutralize net neutrality? And we are supposed to think this is a Good Thing?

I heard Vint Cerf give a talk recently. He's one of the true creators of the
Internet. He made the point that as the Internet is improved to carry new
applications, for example mail, radio, and telephony, it soon becomes the
dominant means of transport for these services. So I agree with the article to
that point. Of course, I disagree with the notion that all the collusion
mentioned in there should be allowed to take place unhindered. It's all up to
the consumer.