[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 16:46:12 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>>> The congloms are doing exactly what you detest. They are ONLY
>>> providing "search results" that advantage the media oligopoly.
>>
>> Really? Then how come I can watch live TV programs from obscure
>> local stations in Italy, France, and the UK (not to mention
>> oodles of other places)? I found them using Webcrawler.
>
> You don't even subscribe to cable Bert. If you did, you would
> know that cable/DBS program guides ONLY list programs that the
> MVPD carries - no web search results at all.

Whaaat?

You claimed that the congloms are preventing search engines from finding any
content except for their own. And I showed you that this is false.

Now you change your story. Now you're limiting your assertion to a walled
garden's EPG? Any logical person would blame the walled garden model, not the
congloms.

And even then, you'd still be wrong. If you use the MVPD for broadband Internet
access, that MVPD is not preventing your search engine from working. If ISPs,
including MVPD broadband, tried to play games like that, there would be a huge
backlash. You can EASILY find TV content online, using any search engine you
care to use, even if you get to the Internet via the MVPD.

It's all up to you. If you put yourself at the mercy of MVPDs, you pay the
price.

> The fact that you can access content via the Internet that is
> not available via MVPD systems is TOTALLY decoupled from what
> the media oligopoly in the U.S. is doing.
>
> You really need to think about what you are saying before making
> such absurd connections...

Wow, you're whining about something you do entirely to yourself.