[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 18:53:04 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> That's just from the first two pages of listings for LCD computer
> monitors at Best Buy

Don't be disingenuous, Craig. These are only very small monitors that no one
hardly buys anymore.

Look at anything of 23" or more, and you will see not JUST that they are 16 X
9, but ALSO that they are 1920 X 1080. Both standards introduced by TV, and not
the computer industry. Too bad, huh?

> The iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad do not use 16:9 displays:

> But, the latest generation of iMacs and Apple monitors are 16:9.

Exactly. The current iPad is obsolescent, as I thought when they came out with
the antique aspect ratio. The next iPad, just like the current Kindle Fire,
without much doubt, will go to something wider. The Kindle Fire is about 1.66:1
aspect ratio. The better to watch movies with.

Still, these are portable devices. They have to worry about ease of
portability. And yet, my bet is that phones and pads will migrate to 16:9, just
as all the other monitors and TVs have done.