[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:22:59 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Have you seen any independent producers hawking their wares
> and telling Jay Leno that you don't need cable to watch it,
> just stream it from my portal on the Internet?

Specifically responding to this, again, I don't see what you're driving at.

If MVPDs are the only way to access shows like Jay Leno, then those shows will
get a smaller and smaller audience, because they will miss all of the mobile
crowd. So they too will have to adapt.

If MVPDs create their own Internet portals, to make this content available to
mobile devices, most likely for a fee, good for them. *But* don't limit my
Internet appliances to only those few portals.

So once again, not knowing what you are driving at, but suspecting it has to do
with introducing bottlenecks before reaching Internet content, I'm saying let's
not happily jump from the frying pan to the fire. I see nothing to convince me
that a hobbled GoogleTV search engine, or a restrictive AppleTV portal, or any
other single or small assortment of access points forced on the consumer, to
reach the Internet, is an answer, Craig.