[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 20:38:42 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> THIS is exactly what you seem so upset about with Apple, Google,
> et al. To be specific, the notion that they ONLY promote what is
> in THEIR walled gardens, or in the case of Google, that they might
> disadvantage some search results versus paid search results.

Yes, and I don't let them. There is no reason why anyone should.

> I just don't understand why you give the congloms a pass for
> running walled gardens, but constantly trash Apple for giving
> consumers limited access to content they license from the
> congloms.

Because I am consistent. Apple isn't happy to offer a store among many stores.
They also want to prevent their devices from going to other stores. Which they
did, for instance, by making Flash not work. Apple's intention is that Apple
device owners use only their "cloud." So, why do you give them a pass?

> Google TV uses the Chrome search engine and it searches the
> Internet in exactly the same way as your PCTV.

To the extent that is true, of course I have no problem with that.
Unfortunately, (a) the CE companies limit the sites a user can browse, on
connected sets I've looked at anyway, and (b) Google was setting itself up as
THE search engine for connected TVs. So the congloms said, oh yeah? Let's see
if you can make yourself the ubiquitous bottleneck.

Don't know about you, but I can understand their point. Any ubiquitous search
engine would have way more influence than they deserve. So the people who had
the valuable content said no way. And you know what? The CE vendors should not
have made consumers vulnerable to that. They had no reason to.

> If I want many popular TV shows, the ONLY way I can get them is to
> subscribe to an MVPD. Yes I can see some of these programs
> - eventually - via packaged media, the iTunes and Amazon stores,
> and subscription Internet streaming services like Hulu Plus and
> Netflix. If I want it free (i.e. advertiser supported) I may
> eventually get to see it via one of the conglom portals.

Craig, only fox.com makes you wait any appreciable time (8 days). For the
others, the wait is no more than a few hours. You have PLENTY of ways to get
conglom content, without using an MVPD. In fact, Hulu even makes foreign films
available. I just don't see where the congloms are limiting my search for
content.