[opendtv] Re: NASCAR Ratings Soft; Result of going Off OTA?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 08:44:03 -0500

At 1:19 PM -0800 1/31/12, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
So NASCAR ratings are soft? I'd like to think that they alienated much of their audience when they went off the FOTA distribution and onto MPVD-only channels. I lost interest when I couldn't watch the races any longer because of this. I didn't even renew my seats this year for the local event. Reality is that there are probably other factors at work since only 10% of the population uses OTA. But I would like to think they have alienated people interested in their sport when they did so. I wonder how much momentum is lost when programming goes off OTA channels? Could it be a partial factor? I would like to think so. Perhaps it's only wishful thinking.

Dan

It all about money.

Losing a few ratings points is a small price to pay when a much larger second revenue stream is available...