-=PCTechTalk=- Re: help,bluescreen yikes

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 20:53:39 -0400

Cristy,
    As I said in my last reply, a matched pair has everything the same.  If
you buy 2GB of RAM, it comes as two identical 1GB sticks that will be
installed across your 1st & 3rd OR 2nd & 4th memory slots.  By habit, I
always populate the 1st slot first and then whatever other slot is dictated
by the mainboard manual to acheive dual-channel mode, since some mainboards
pair the 1st & 2nd (instead of the 3rd) together for this purpose.  Your
board uses slots 1&3, so that's where the two matched sticks would go if I
was the one working on your system.

    If the tech didn't seem to understand the dual-channel idea, then I
would NEVER allow that tech to come within 30 yards of my system again.  The
technology has been around for a couple of years now and there's no excuse
for them not to know everything there is to know about it.  I don't feel
that this is my fault at all.  I blame the tech(s) that severely mishandled
your visit to their store.

    If you choose to buy the set online, it'll be the same as when you
bought your ink.  Newegg will have the new memory at your front door within
3 days if you opt for UPS ground shipping.

Peace,
Gman