-=PCTechTalk=- Re: help,bluescreen yikes

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 00:38:52 -0400

Do you recall seeing  NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM near the top of the BSOD?  If so,
then the following applies here and it has little chance of being memory
related.

"The Stop 0x24 message indicates that a problem occurred within Ntfs.sys,
the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system
drives."

The first of the 4 Parameter codes describes the app most responsible for
the error (a possible incompatability that may never repeat).  Since I doubt
you're running any SCSI volume controllers (the very first thing asked by
the description page below), the first thing you should do to try and fix
this is to run CHKDSK with all the trimmings.  Well, they want it run with a
full surface scan, but I'm suggesting that you add the ability to fix any
issues it finds by checking BOTH boxes.  To run it, go into the Properties
for the OS drive (usually C:\) and click on the Check Now button in the
Tools tab.

Here is the site I'm using for most of the direction I'm taking you,
although I've confirmed the meaning of the error code with the MS site
already.

http://www.updatexp.com/stop-messages.html

Peace,
Gman