-=PCTechTalk=- Re: help,bluescreen yikes

  • From: "cristy" <poppy0206@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 20:51:38 -0400

Gman,

As per your email from last night:

'Specifically, a matched set of 1GB sticks installed into slots 1 & 3 or
slots 2 & 4 would
allow 2GB in dual-channel mode.  Any other combiniation of slots would force
the board back into single-channel mode which is how it's running right
now.'

 So then you recommend I buy an additional stick of 1 gig memory to match
the other I bought (unless I can return that one and get a better price
online) and take out the older three sticks?

So then, regardless of what slot my brother had put the extra stick of 512
memory in (to add to the already installed two sticks of 256 that came with
the computer), it did not really improve any performance and may have in
fact caused the computer to stop using dual-channel mode and to go into
using single channel mode? (How do you know what mode it is performing in
unless you look at the memory sticks and how they are placed then?  Will I
notice a big improvement if I ever get this straightened out?

thanks,