-=PCTechTalk=- Re: help,bluescreen yikes

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:15:56 -0400

Cristy,
    I don't recommend you seperately buy another stick and try to match the
one you already got.  Chances are really, really good that the computer will
not be impressed or convinced that it can run them in dual-channel mode
since the info embedded within the sticks must match in all aspects before
the mode will be upgraded.  You were told that you can bring it back if
you're not happy and that's just what I would do.  But I would have them
return it to the original condition it was in when you first walked into
their store and return your money to you.  Then, I would order a matched set
from the link I sent you (I made sure that every pair shown was specifically
approved for use in your system by the system manufacturer).  It will save
you a bunch of money, you'll learn how to install RAM (which is incredibly
easy to do) and you'll know for sure that you finally got your money's
worth.

    Assuming your system was running in dual-channel mode before you had
your brother add the extra stick, adding a single stick anywhere (unmatched
with an identical stick) would immediately take the system out of
dual-channel mode, even if he had not moved one of the original sticks to a
diffeent location.  So, the following wouldn't run in dual-channel either,
even though the 1st & 3rd are matched.

Slot 1:  256MB
Slot 2:  512MB
Slot 3:  256MB
Slot 4:  0

    Having said that, adding the extra stick didn't hurt the performance
because you still doubled the amount of memory available to your system.
Dual-channel mode won't double the performance of a system like doubling the
amount of memory will.  I don't know how to properly compare the two changes
in numbers or percentages, but my guess would be that the overall effect of
doubling the memory while taking it out of dual-channel mode would be
somewhere around a 30-40% improvement.  Of course, if a matched pair of
256MB sticks been installed in slots 2 & 4, it would have been a 100%
improvement and dual-channel mode would have been preserved.  In other
words, the overall effect was an improvement in performance, but not nearly
what it could have been.

    When you first turn on or reboot a system (during the POST), you may be
able to see info flash across the screen as the system wakes up (or
refreshes).  One line of that info should tell you the mode in use by the
installed memory.  Most OEM systems cover up this info with their logo.  On
some of these logo displaying systems, you can press the ESC key to peek
behind it.  I have no way of knowing if yours will or not, but that's how we
can easily tell with most systems.  Otherwise, you'll need to use a utility
like SIW to check the memory status.

    Finally, you should see a HUGE leap in responsiveness once this stuff is
straightened out.              :O)

Peace,
Gman