[openbeos] Re: Haiku Compatible badge (again)

  • From: Karl vom Dorff <karl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 15:15:18 -0400

I think Haiku needs a mascot. An animal of some sort, to spice up the logo. Looks kind of boring.

Suse-Gecko?
FreeBSD-Devil
OS X-Cat family

What animal would represent Haiku? (dog>tracker?)

Maybe it doesn't have to be an animal, but animals are more exciting (i.e Red Hat (hat, although kind of clever, when do you ever see a man's fedora that's red?).

Ok, I hear you, but we have a leaf! Windows has their Windows and Amiga has their boing balls... haha.

Anyways, whatever the decision, keep it unified with the website. The website already has this light blue tone to it, the system ships with a light blue background, so why make an orange and green logo!!??

On 2007-05-25 at 18:57:22 [+0200], Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx

wrote:
<http://www.yellowbites.com/stuff/HAIKU_COMPATIBLE_logo_01.png>
<http://www.yellowbites.com/stuff/HAIKU_COMPATIBLE_logo_02.png>
<http://www.yellowbites.com/stuff/HAIKU_COMPATIBLE_logo_03.png>
<http://www.yellowbites.com/stuff/HAIKU_COMPATIBLE_logo_04.png>
<http://www.yellowbites.com/stuff/HAIKU_COMPATIBLE_logo_05.png>
<http://www.yellowbites.com/stuff/HAIKU_COMPATIBLE_logo_06.png>
Critique welcome.
I like 2 best -- simple elegance. 6 and 5 have quite some charm, too,
though the colors might indeed be a bit aggressive. In number 3 the
contrast of the leaf is a bit too low, IMHO.

While I think 3 looks best in itself, it's probably not a good
candidate because of the low contrast; 1 is a bit too subtle and fine
for a logo. I don't like the deviation of the leaf in no 6. And while
the colors in 5 are indeed strong, it's actually my favourite (being
the Haiku colors and all shiny).
I am not sure if I like the rounded lower edges in 2, at least it looks
a bit random. But a monochrome logo like this does look good, too.

Regarding the alignment of "compatible" in 1 - 3, Jan is right.
There're
two more pixels space to the left. I also agree, that the "HAIKU"
letter
spacing looks a bit weird.

Absolutely :-)

Bye,