[Wittrs] Re: When is "brain talk" really dualism?

  • From: "Cayuse" <z.z7@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 14:23:13 +0100

swmaerske wrote:
"Cayuse" wrote:
The point is to address any claim concerning the "scientific
investigation of consciousness". My claim is that any such
investigation can only address whatever empirical content
consciousness is stipulated to have, and that Nagel's use of
the term has no empirical content. Moreover, that I would be
interested in any argument that the two can be entirely divorced.

If they can't be divorced, as you claim, then you ARE arguing that
one cannot empirically study brains and the consciousness they
produce. But of course they can be divorced and one doesn't need to
make a logical argument to see this. All one needs to do is to note
what we actually find in the world, namely brains and the many
features of consciousness we call "mind" and the existential relation
that obtains between them which appears to flow from brains to minds.

We can empirically study brains, but since we cannot empirically study
"subjective experience", we cannot even justify the claim that "the brain
produces subjective experience". We can move forward on this when you
show how you can entirely divorce your use of the word 'consciousness'
from Nagel's "what it is like". That is the direction that is of particular
interest to me here, and, it seems to me, the crux of the issue.

Group Home Page: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html
Group Discussion Board: http://seanwilson.org/forum/
Google Archive: http://groups.google.com/group/Wittrs
FreeList for September: //www.freelists.org/archive/wittrs/09-2009