[Wittrs] Re: When is "brain talk" really dualism?

  • From: "blroadies" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 21:34:24 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Cayuse" <z.z7@...> wrote:

> You can always stipulate a use of the word that identifies as
> some objective phenomenon in the world, and then its scientific
> investigation would be legitimate, but to do so is to overlook a
> significant idea for which the word "consciousness"

While I agree with your nice distinction between the "physical world" --
out there so to speak -- that anyone can enter and "my visual room" --
which is no room at all and hence no one, including me can enter, I
think you give away too much by suggesting -- if in fact you are
suggesting -- that "my visual room" can't be studied scientifically,
i.e., objectively.

There is a vast scientific literature on 1st person perception. It is
every bit as objective as the behavioral research. This mistake, not
sure it is yours, is to think of perception as some inner event only
present to the person. A person's reports about his world is piece of
data no different from what he did that day.

What concerns me is in the effort to defend a non-physicalistic concept
of consciousness (which I share), one imagines a private realm apart
from the physical.

Consciousness is neither a private place or a special substance. It is
an attribution made to others and ourself under certain circumstances.

bruce

has been