[Wittrs] Re: When is "brain talk" really dualism?

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 03:10:14 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Glen Sizemore <gmsizemore2@...> wrote:

> Say one has a text that says things like "the mind sees,"
> or "the mind understands" or "the mind makes decisions"
> etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. Now, one simply substitutes the word
> "brain" for "mind." Is one thereby NOT a dualist?

Eray (in the ai-philosophy group) says I'm a dualist, because I say
that information is abstract.  Likewise, he says that mathematical
platonists are dualists by virtue of their platonism.  And now  you are
saying that people are dualists because they use some  inappropriate
"brain" talk.

Why the need for all of this labeling?  It's bad enough when labeling
is coming from Newt Gingrich or Rush Limbaugh.  Can't we do better  than
that?

Regards,
Neil