[Wittrs] Re: When is "brain talk" really dualism?

  • From: "blroadies" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 18:34:55 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Stuart W. Mirsky" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> ...To be a dualist is to suppose there are at least two ontological
basics in the universe, typically mind and matter.

By onto-basic you mean that one is not reducible to the other, where
"reducible" doesn't preclude that

> ...we mean something different by "minds" and "brains"

that there are two different language games, for example, LW's
distinction between Reason and Cause which he felt Freud had collapsed
and hence providing an incoherent account.

but rather an

> argument for reduction of one to the other.

Where reduction is shown by explaining a experience ("I'm suddenly
feeling good") by a change in brain chemistry (increase in Serotonin).

bruce