Re: [ARMini-support] Is it possible to get the correct time

  • From: Chris Hall <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 08:08:12 GMT

In message <28029.86.193.40.118.1427356012.squirrel@webmail.orpheusnet
.co.uk>
          "Alan P Dawes" <alan.dawes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's reminded me that I found a similar problem when I fitted the
> battery to my beagleboard. I configured the battery charge rate to a
> higher value and despite warnings from others on this group it has been
> fine since. I'm in France at the moment so have no access to my BB to find
> what setting I used. Before I fitted the battery I configured !Alarm to
> run at start up with the date on the icon bar which I check is giving the
> correct year before running anything else.

I think on the Raspberry Pi the OS checks the last date stamp of the
ROM (when it shuts down it stores the CMOS settings there) and makes
sure that the date is set no earlier than that. At least I seem to
recall reading that somewhere.

It would be easy to put something in !Boot towards the end of
!Boot.Choices.Boot.Tasks that would produce a message box if the
currently set date was before the date of the OS - something like
'Network time not available - date set to xx:xx xx-xxx-xxxx. Please
check date and time before proceeding.'. For machines configured to
use a RTC then the message could be adjusted to 'Real time clock value
not available - check battery - date set ....'.

I could write something along these lines for the standard HardDisc4
image if that would seem a good idea? 99% of the time it would do
nothing.

--
Chris Hall <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>