Re: [ARMini-support] Is it possible to get the correct time

  • From: Andrew Pinder <Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 21:29:48 GMT

In message <54a881b521bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 on 22 Mar 2015 Bob Latham <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <mpro.nlmju90901fn302em.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> What was NetTime reporting it thought was happening at the time? Did it
>> think the time was correct, or was it in the process of adjusting it?

> Sorry Steve, That question needs a deeper understanding that I have. All I
> saw was the time out by more than 3 minutes and "busy" in the little box.
> I tried the "try" button but if I'm honest I was only guessing what might
> do but it didn't help and I've no idea what in particular was busy.

It's worth pointing out that Nettime is a module.  Use *nettime_status
to get output from it via a task window.  !Alarm has the "Time and
date" window accessible via the "Set clock..." option on the icon bar
menu.  I'm using v2.86 (17 Jun 2012) under RO5.20 on an ARMini.
There's a page at
https://riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/Software%20information:%20Alarm
that describes 2.86 as the "last stable version". (Older versions may
lack some of the current features.)

I see that one of the changes introduced in v2.76 was that "Choosing
”Set clockŒ• from the iconbar menu, will run the !TimeSetup configure
plug-in if available."  Double clicking !Boot opens the Configuration
window and the "Time and date" option opens the same window.

The Time and date box does have a "Set manually" option at the top.
It does what it says "on the tin".  "Try" part way down under "Set
from the network" appears to mean "Try to set the time from the
network".  The adjacent box appears to give the result of the most
recent attempt to set the time from the network.  So "busy" must mean
it tried and failed because something, possibly the time server, was
busy.  If it is successful it will say something like "Sync 1356s ago"

[snip]

>> NetTime does not, for very good reasons, force a step change on the
>> clock for relatively small errors. Instead, it speeds up or slows down
>> the clock until it converges with reality (and then continues to adjust
>> the length of a tick so that the two stay in step thereafter).

AIUI, there will be an attempt to sync the clock at boot.  Very useful
if your backup battery has discharged because the computer has been
turned off for a long period.

I did set my clock manually to be about 5 minutes slow.  Just clicking
"Try" did correct it.  I just tried it again and after 11 seconds of
the hourglass got "Busy".  *nettime status tells me that it is
"Expecting".  After multiple attempts, it did eventually Sync
successfully.

That has just made me wonder, will reducing the period between checks
improve the rate at which the time error is reduced?

Regards

Andrew
--
Andrew Pinder