Re: [ARMini-support] Is it possible to get the correct time

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 14:29:55 +0000 (GMT)

In article <23f4dea854.baz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Barry Smith <baz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Mine initially just says 'sync success', but if you click on it again
> (from Boot, Configuration, Time and Date' it gives a 'x' seconds ago
> message.

> Currently 10 seconds fast. Armed with the information about clock speed
> (rather than clock setting) I'll see how it performs over the next
> couple of days.

Just FWIW and AIUI.

The method changes the clock rate (regulation) to have it run 'slow' if the
clock is ahead, or 'fast' if its behind. If nothing else was then done
later, this would mean it eventually overshoots and runs away. But you also
choose to have system re-regulate at user-specified intervals. The amount
by which the rate is regulated fast or slow is, I think, meant ot be
affected by how much in advance or behind the clock may be. That then means
that as the process is repeated the clock error *should* tend to get
smaller and the regulation 'nudges' smaller.

That should mean that an 'always on' system slowly glides toward having a
small time error and a modest rate correction.

The problem is that this may not work for various reasons, some of which
are obscure. If you're going to test this, also note the times when the
machine is switched on or off.

Jim