Re: [ARMini-support] Is it possible to get the correct time

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 09:31:15 +0000 (GMT)

In article <366f78a754.Andrew-Pin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Pinder
<Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <54a742b0d9jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 20 Mar 2015 Jim Lesurf
>  <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > In article <54a734e0a8bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bob Latham
> > <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Is it possible to set the clock on ARMiniX?

> > Short answer:

> > Yes. :-)

> ISTR that the update to !Clock introduced in RO5.20 gave the ability to
> set time from the network.  But the comment in the OP implied that that
> option was selected.

> I'm using RO5.20 on an ARMini, with the server set to pool.ntp.org The
> current discrepancy is 0.702530 seconds fast, with 30 minutes between
> checks.  Good enough for my purposes, though I think Jim previously had
> concerns related to timing audio.

No, that isn't the major issue.

My main concern with the 'standard' method applied with the OS is that it
tends to *regulate* the clock not *set* it. It takes for granted that the
machine is almost 'always on'. I found - as Bob seems to have done - that
even time errors of over 2 mins were often *not* corrected by setting the
clock.

A contributory problem is that it doesn't explain this to the user and
simply presents itself as a way to set the clock. The terms 'set' and
'regulate' have quite different meanings when it comes to clock
adjustments.

As a result some users find that, despite using it regularly, their
machine's clock remains in error by rather more than a second or so.
Indeed, maybe over a minute. Which seems absurd to me.

For people with machines that *are* 'always on' this problem may not arise.
But for those who turn off their machine for a fair bit of the time, it
will tend to happen.

As I said, Rick kindly wrote some code that fetches the time. I then used
it to write a simple program that then *sets* the clock if the user says it
should.

The question of 'audio' rates wasn't my main concern at all. I was however
concerned about the use of machines to collect data where timing *rate*
errors might be a problem. However this won't arise for most users. I'm
aware of it from a long history of using RO machines in labs, etc. There,
having a clock whose *rate* keeps being adjusted could be a pest as it
would corrupt the relative timing of a long data sequence.

What I wrote is far from perfect. But at least it gives users a choice. Do
they want to *set* the clock, or *regulate* it (just for the duration of
the session of use)? The two actions are quite different.

Jim