Re: [ARMini-support] Is it possible to get the correct time

  • From: Bob Latham <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 20:00:56 +0000 (GMT)

In article <mpro.nlmju90901fn302em.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 22 Mar, Bob Latham wrote in message
>     <54a8639c96bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > I then installed a copy on my wife's ARMiniX where the clock was well
> > over 3 minutes slow which I was completely unable to correct with the
> > OS functionality. Your app set my machine and my wife's with a second
> > of each other which is good enough for me.

> What was NetTime reporting it thought was happening at the time? Did it
> think the time was correct, or was it in the process of adjusting it?

Sorry Steve, That question needs a deeper understanding that I have. All I
saw was the time out by more than 3 minutes and "busy" in the little box.
I tried the "try" button but if I'm honest I was only guessing what might
do but it didn't help and I've no idea what in particular was busy.

> If you think you've found a problem, details of NetTime's status and a
> bug report to ROOL would be useful.

I was surprised to find I could find a way to get the machine to fetch the
time and adjust the clock. It may well be that it's not designed to do
that.

> > I would like to see something added to the OS for this, 3 minutes
> > adrift and not corrected is a bit poor to say the least.

> NetTime does not, for very good reasons, force a step change on the
> clock for relatively small errors. Instead, it speeds up or slows down
> the clock until it converges with reality (and then continues to adjust
> the length of a tick so that the two stay in step thereafter).

Yes, I can see that now but it is quite frustrating not to be able to set
the clock by my choice. I don't think I've ever encountered a clock that
had that feature before in my life.

> This is the same approach that other systems use, and it avoids problems
> such as time apparently going backwards as far as applications are
> concerned.

Yes, I'm sure you're right but I've never come across it before and to be
honest, I don't like the restriction.

Cheers,

Bob.

--