Re: [ARMini-support] Is it possible to get the correct time

  • From: Barry Smith <baz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 16:14:38 GMT

In message <54a8e73d0djcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

snip

> Just FWIW and AIUI.

> The method changes the clock rate (regulation) to have it run 'slow' if the
> clock is ahead, or 'fast' if its behind. If nothing else was then done
> later, this would mean it eventually overshoots and runs away. But you also
> choose to have system re-regulate at user-specified intervals. The amount
> by which the rate is regulated fast or slow is, I think, meant ot be
> affected by how much in advance or behind the clock may be. That then means
> that as the process is repeated the clock error *should* tend to get
> smaller and the regulation 'nudges' smaller.

> That should mean that an 'always on' system slowly glides toward having a
> small time error and a modest rate correction.

> The problem is that this may not work for various reasons, some of which
> are obscure. If you're going to test this, also note the times when the
> machine is switched on or off.

At the moment I'm running it (ARMiniX) 24/7 and running
*nettime_status (from time to time) in a task window which I can save.
Once I have sufficient data I will upload the results to my website.

Initially it was 20 seconds slow. It's now within 1 second (when I
compare it with my PC which runs ntp).

It will be interesting to see how much "drift" occurs after a shutdown
period.

Barry
--
www.g4iat.co.uk    Using an ARMiniX with RISC OS 5.21 SP7b (21-Apr-14)