Re: [ARMini-support] Is it possible to get the correct time

  • From: Alan P Dawes <alan.dawes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 13:34:59 +0000 (GMT)

In article <54a734e0a8bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Bob Latham <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  recently had to buy a new watch and obviously wished to set the time on
> it.

> I had half realised that with digital radio and TV it was now not
> possible to get the time from either media with any accuracy due to the
> conversion delays between analogue and digital.

> I turned to my ARMiniX computer expecting to be able to set the clock
> from the net with good accuracy but it seems not. Although configured to
> access an on line ntp clock nothing I could do would force it to fetch
> the time and update even though it was obviously nearly 2 minutes slow.
> All I could get was "busy". I tried other ntp servers, same story.

I was recommended to use uk.pool.ntp.org rather than specify just one
particular nettime server.

To set my watch I use the radio time signal transmitter in Frankfurt via a
cheap "Ascot weather station" I bought from Lidl. I just set my location
as London UK and it then gets the correct time. I suppose I could get it
to use the UKs MSF Radio Time Signal from Babcock in Cumbria on 60kHz but
I've not bothered. See:
http://www.npl.co.uk/science-technology/time-frequency/products-and-services/time/msf-radio-time-signal

Alan

Alan