Re: [ARMini-support] Is it possible to get the correct time

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 17:42:09 +0000

On 22 Mar, Bob Latham wrote in message
    <54a8639c96bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I then installed a copy on my wife's ARMiniX where the clock was well over
> 3 minutes slow which I was completely unable to correct with the OS
> functionality. Your app set my machine and my wife's with a second of each
> other which is good enough for me.

What was NetTime reporting it thought was happening at the time? Did it
think the time was correct, or was it in the process of adjusting it?

If you think you've found a problem, details of NetTime's status and a bug
report to ROOL would be useful.

> I would like to see something added to the OS for this, 3 minutes adrift
> and not corrected is a bit poor to say the least.

NetTime does not, for very good reasons, force a step change on the clock
for relatively small errors. Instead, it speeds up or slows down the clock
until it converges with reality (and then continues to adjust the length of
a tick so that the two stay in step thereafter).

This is the same approach that other systems use, and it avoids problems
such as time apparently going backwards as far as applications are
concerned.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/