Re: [ARMini-support] Is it possible to get the correct time

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 09:56:25 +0000 (GMT)

In article <54a734e0a8bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bob Latham
<bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is it possible to set the clock on ARMiniX?

Short answer:

Yes. :-)

Longer answer:

Rick Murray kindly wrote a simple demo method and I used it to write an app
that sets my ARMiniX's time of day via NTP. It doesn't always work because
the server doesn't always reply, but it usually does. Let me know if you'd
like a copy. It works with an accuracy of about a second - assuming NIST
have their clocks set properly.  ;->

Note it doesn't set the day or date or year. It just sets the time of day.

There is also a time setting system provided with the OS. But I found it a
PITA to use. It tends to fiddle with the (soft) clock *rate* and not
actually *set the time*. In effect it assumes your ARMiniX is always on
continually. Which mine isn't. The descriptions given for it confuse the
issue by talking about 'setting' the clock when it actually tries to
*regulate* the clock, often without setting it at all.

I suspect you've tried the latter system and found it as unsatisfactory as
I did. I also found it wouldn't bother to actually *set* the clock even if
it was 2 mins or more off.

Jim