Re: [ARMini-support] Is it possible to get the correct time

  • From: Andrew Pinder <Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 23:18:16 GMT

In message <ca9d11aa54.harriet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 on 25 Mar 2015 Harriet Bazley <harriet.bazley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 25 Mar 2015 as I do recall,
>           Alan P Dawes wrote:

>> there is something seriously wrong with your battery
>> and it needs replacing as it should hold a high enough charge to maintain
>> the clock even if it has been left off for quite a number of weeks.

> My experience is that it takes about a week with the machine powered
> continuously to raise the battery level to the recommended 3.1V, and that
> with normal usage (a few hours per day) the charge drops down below this
> level within another week: in the long term the computer simply isn't
> powered up for long enough to recharge.    It's possible that the battery
> arrived deficient;  we assumed that the computer had been designed to be
> kept permanently on 'stand-by' and resorted to using NetTime to maintain the
> clock instead.

I've reported previously that it takes about 7 hours use per day to
maintain the battery charge on my ARMini.  That's actually quite a lot
of use for a domestic machine.  I'm currently letting the battery
level drop to see what happens and how low it will go.

Of course, original BeagleBoards didn't have batteries so always
booted thinking it was 1970 - RComp took the decision to supply ARMini
machines with batteries fitted.  I think the opportunist nature of the
machine design means that we can't assume that the design is optimum
for typical RISC OS users' patterns of use.

Regards

Andrew
--
Andrew Pinder