Re: [ARMini-support] Is it possible to get the correct time

  • From: Alan P Dawes <alan.dawes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 11:16:14 +0000 (GMT)

In article <54a7c438e1jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My main concern with the 'standard' method applied with the OS is that it
> tends to *regulate* the clock not *set* it. It takes for granted that the
> machine is almost 'always on'. I found - as Bob seems to have done - that
> even time errors of over 2 mins were often *not* corrected by setting the
> clock.

> A contributory problem is that it doesn't explain this to the user and
> simply presents itself as a way to set the clock. The terms 'set' and
> 'regulate' have quite different meanings when it comes to clock
> adjustments.

> As a result some users find that, despite using it regularly, their
> machine's clock remains in error by rather more than a second or so.
> Indeed, maybe over a minute. Which seems absurd to me.

When I first had a BB-xm the Castle !Nettime wasn't generally available
and since I didn't have a battery in it I had to set the time each time I
turned on.
I used !Freetime from:
http://www.heenan.me.uk/acorn/download.html
which has some useful configuration options.

MinDiff sets "don't alter if out by less than" x seconds - the default is
5 secs so you could set that to zero to always alter.

MaxDiff is by default set to 10 minutes so that if the time is out by an
amount greater than MinDiff and less than MaxDiff the time will be auto
corrected but if out by greater thanMaxDiff a window pops up asking if you
want to correct the clock.

Alan

--
alan.dawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx