Re: [ARMini-support] Is it possible to get the correct time

  • From: Chris Hall <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 08:17:55 GMT

In message <e132c9a954.Andrew-Pin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Andrew Pinder <Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <c90b97a954.harriet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  on 24 Mar 2015 Harriet Bazley <harriet.bazley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

>> On 22 Mar 2015 as I do recall,
>>           Andrew Pinder  wrote:

>>> AIUI, there will be an attempt to sync the clock at boot.  Very useful
>>> if your backup battery has discharged because the computer has been
>>> turned off for a long period.

>> There does seem to be an issue with this -- NetTime periodically
>> (every few months) fails to synchronise at boot-up, which is rather
>> noticeable since it results in Messenger's downloading an entire batch
>> of mail dated 1970, and then wiping all the files a few minutes later
>> when NetTime makes a subsequent successful attempt at setting the
>> clock and the e-mail becomes thoroughly overdue for expiry.   :-(

> One cause of this could be a failure at boot to connect to a time
> server due to transient router or internet problems.

Yes, obviously that is the cause. It is a forseeable cause though and
one should not expect the OS to fail so miserably. Why can we not
check the date during !Boot and if it is before the latest time known
in a previous session, then to force it to at east that time and date
immediately?

It would prevent RISC OS machines from being used in time machines but
should not prevent machines being taken across a time zone in a car
(local time and Greenwich Mean Time are handled elsewhere I think).

--
Chris Hall <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>