Re: [ARMini-support] Is it possible to get the correct time

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 15:26:01 +0000 (GMT)

In article <54a8639c96bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bob Latham
<bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <54a7433e61jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Lesurf
>    <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Just remembered that I put up a copy at

> > http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/temp/JimTime.zip

> Jim, thanks for that, seems to work very well. I set it up on my
> ARMminiX and tried it out and it fixed the time error of around a minute
> no problem.

Pleased its useful. However the main thanks are really due to Rick Murray.
I didn't have a clue how to get the time fetch to work. He did a demo and
with his permission I nicked it for my small program.

I can't say if it will work in all time zones and in all cases. That's why
I have it show what time error it thinks it has found and invites the user
to decide if they want a correction applied. In practice the only problem
I've had is that sometimes the server doesn't reply. But I guess that's
life. :-)

> I would like to see something added to the OS for this, 3 minutes adrift
> and not corrected is a bit poor to say the least.

Yes, I'd much prefer it if the OS system gave the user a simple choice
between 'set the clock' and 'regulate the clock'. Alas as it stands, what
it does is opaque to many users. And as you and I have found, the OS system
may well not set the clock even for errors well over a minute. I'm sure it
works fine at present for some people, but it doesn't for others.

Jim