Re: [ARMini-support] Is it possible to get the correct time

  • From: Andrew Pinder <Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 11:46:05 GMT

In message <54a7c438e1jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 on 21 Mar 2015 Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <366f78a754.Andrew-Pin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Pinder
> <Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In message <54a742b0d9jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 20 Mar 2015 Jim Lesurf
>>  <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Short answer:

>>> Yes. :-)

>> ISTR that the update to !Clock introduced in RO5.20 gave the ability to
>> set time from the network.  But the comment in the OP implied that that
>> option was selected.

>> I'm using RO5.20 on an ARMini, with the server set to pool.ntp.org The
>> current discrepancy is 0.702530 seconds fast, with 30 minutes between
>> checks.  Good enough for my purposes, though I think Jim previously had
>> concerns related to timing audio.

> No, that isn't the major issue.

> My main concern with the 'standard' method applied with the OS is that it
> tends to *regulate* the clock not *set* it. It takes for granted that the
> machine is almost 'always on'. I found - as Bob seems to have done - that
> even time errors of over 2 mins were often *not* corrected by setting the
> clock.

> A contributory problem is that it doesn't explain this to the user and
> simply presents itself as a way to set the clock. The terms 'set' and
> 'regulate' have quite different meanings when it comes to clock
> adjustments.

Am I right in thinking that the 'Timer latch' value given by
*nettime_status is the value that is being used to 'regulate' the
clock?

Currently 'Last delta' is 0.004372 seconds fast; 'Timer latch' is
13001 (-7ppm).

> As a result some users find that, despite using it regularly, their
> machine's clock remains in error by rather more than a second or so.
> Indeed, maybe over a minute. Which seems absurd to me.

> For people with machines that *are* 'always on' this problem may not arise.
> But for those who turn off their machine for a fair bit of the time, it
> will tend to happen.

I turn my machine (ARMini, RO5.20) on and off a couple of times a day.
It's definitely off more than on.  I've no experience of the clock
being significantly inaccurate.  BTW, I always have !Alarm on the
iconbar.

Regards

Andrew
--