[Wittrs] Re: Understanding Dualism

  • From: "gabuddabout" <gabuddabout@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:24:53 -0000

Stuart writes:

"The older and more classical view of consciousness, of course, is that it is a
unified awareness, an observer of, and actor upon, events in its environment."

You can have consciousness as a unified field without that implying any form of
dualism at all.  One can also have mental events without presupposing dualism.
It's just that the explanation of the mental events is as a system feature of a
brain.  How else does one explain the ability to shift one's focus of attention
within the unified field--I see a chair now, I see the space between myself and
the chair which makes the chair look fuzzy in the background, I can sense the
feel the shirt on my back, now my chest, I can look at all the books on the
shelf, think about some mambo groove, etc.

One can even observe events as well as act upon events without presupposing
dualism.

So one wonders just what distinguishes the classical view from a "modern" one
right after you just tried.

Cheers,
Budd