[Wittrs] Re: Start with the person, not his brain

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 00:36:12 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gabuddabout" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> It's just that the explanation of the mental events is as a system
feature of a brain.

Is exactly what makes no sense to me. Seems like two choices. One can
start with the brain and try to derive mind. But mind can't be found in
the brain. Or one can start with the Person. A person has a mind and a
brain. So it is easy to relate the two. This starting point troubles
folks who think that real science is only about material entities. But
there are all kinds of scientific accounts, in the physical as well as
the non-physical sciences, that aren't about stuff and its properties.

> How else does one explain the ability to shift one's focus of
attention within the unified field

How does one "explain" an ability? One walk, dance, sing, and so on
because that's what humans do. How we do it, the means that allow for us
to do it, can be explained, as long as one starts with a person doing
something.

bruce