[Wittrs] Re: Understanding Dualism

  • From: "walto" <walterhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:40:14 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gabuddabout" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> --- In WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "walto" <wittrsamr@> wrote:
> >

> > --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
> > >

> > > He does say it would be better to drop the categories except that his
> > > article was written in response to the accusation that his position IS
> > > property dualism.
>
> So he is condemned to the categories just by responding that he's not a
> property dualist--so he must be, yada, yada..
>

> > > As part of that response he asserted that there is no difference, at
> > > bottom, between property dualism and substance dualism.
>

> At least one specific form of, i.e., Chalmers version which is the
> epiphenomenal view of consciousness that Searle thinks mistaken.  Chalmers
> thinks consciousness is real while doing absolutely no work--and that amounts
> to a form of substance dualism.  Other epiphenomenalists may espouse
> something like a form of mysterianism in the follwing way:  No amount of
> empirical research is going to net us exactly how some physical system is
> conscious, consciousness being some subjective category that can't be touched
> via third person points of view.  You might even find Dennett here given that
> he doesn't deny he's conscious sometimes.  In fact, Dennett's reason for
> thinking strong AI viable is by denying that minds have semantics (proposed
> functionalism of content even though you may never grasp what this means no
> matter how many times I explain why functional explanation for Searle is not
> good enough science for a science of mind, including cognitive science as
> well as far as Fodor is concerned, but never mind this as always) is exactly
> as mysterian as other property dualists who claim not to be substance
> dualists. Searle would say that that can't be an a priori argument for the
> futility of searching for empirical generalizations concerning NCCs.  So,
> plenty of property dualists who are not necessarily substance dualists,
> including Dennett, while Searle is explaining why we need not use this
> outmoded vocabulary anymore.  Can he pull it off?  Well, he needs readers who
> get him right, firstly.
>

> > > Walter, whether he likes me to reference his words or not, asserted that
> > > Searle wrongly characterized "property dualism" and that, if so, Searle
> > > WOULD actually be rightly classified as a "property dualist". I added, in
> > > my response to Walter that, in light of my agreement with Searle's own
> > > point that property dualism is, finally, just another form of substance
> > > dualism, if it is dualism at all, then Searle would also be a substance
> > > dualist.
>

> > Here's what I think about this:
> >
> > (1) There are no property dualists of the type Searle disses in his paper.
> >

> Chalmers would be a counterexample to this claim.
>

> > Because (2) what he there calls "property dualists" are, as he points at
> > the end of his paper actually substance dualists.  (They've got different
> > "cake layers.")

> [...]

Both you and Stuart seem to me to make several good points regarding my
classification system, and I don't want to suggest that either of you are wrong
in doing so: however, I think of what I was doing as more of a stipulative
thing, and I think my take is much more simple (and hence probably considerably
less nuanced) than what either of you are getting at.

Here's my take:

Anybody who thinks that every item in the world is a physical object is a
physicalist, and hence a substance monist.

However, not everybody substance monist believes that every property is
(ontologically) reducible to some group of "physical properties": if among the
properties that some physicalist believes are not  reducible to physical
properties are mental properties, then such a person is (at least) a property
dualist.

In the paper under discussion, Searle cops to both substance monism and
property dualism, given my description of those.

He also indicates the sort of philosophy HE takes to be property dualism, and
it turns out really to be a species of substance dualism as I understand that
term.

You may be right that Chalmers is some sort of quasi-this or that, so when I
said that there aren't any property dualists of the kind Searle discusses, my
exaggeration may have been false.  But I note that he doesn't give a single
example of any, and I think it's better to let others speak for themselves than
to attack straw men.

You both get into deeper issues than my class system, like, e.g., what does it
mean to ontologically reduce? and what is dualism, really? etc.  Those are hard
and interesting, but it's not really what I was talking about.

So, I'll say one final time, that I agree with the substantive position Searle
takes in that paper (and yes, I know and have understood for many years that
Stuart does not), but (not that it matters one little bit) I think it's more
natural to call this position I share with Searle "property dualism."

[Meanwhile, Budd, you're wanted elsewhere, where a discussion (that you
requested!) is going on with respect to a certain Fodor paper.]