[arachne] Re: <Alt+E> Problems - Files in body

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:24:06 +1030

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 05:34:04 -0500, "Lester" <fd100@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I also think that Dosshell.bat should be updated by the development
> team to include the sequence that will for sure work in every of DOS:
> d:
> cd\
> cd %arachne directiory%

I assume you meant that to be

%drive%
CD\
CD %arachne_directory%

since not everyone has arachne on their D: drive.

But the problem is to gather up the drive and directory information,
separate them, and pass them to DOSSHELL.BAT.

At present it appears that core.exe is only able to do it in the
combined form %drive%\%arachne_directory% which as we know doesn't work
in FreeDos for switching the drive.

If you want, I can email you a zip file containing PUSHDIR.EXE and
POPDIR.EXE which works in MS-DOS to save and restore the original drive
and path.

You could test them to see whether they work in FreeDos, and others
could test them in OpenDos and DrDos and possibly in DOS windows.

Then if they work in all operating systems, DOSSHELL.BAT could be
rewritten as

:: DOSSHELL.BAT using pushdir and popdir
@echo off
pushdir
set oldpmt=%prompt%
set prompt=Type EXIT to return to Arachne$_$p$g
if exist ppp.log set prompt=You are still online$_Type EXIT to return to
Arachne$_$p$g
if (%COMSPEC%)==() goto nocomspec
%COMSPEC% /E:1024
goto end
:nocomspec
COMMAND.COM /E:1024
:end
set prompt=%oldpmt%
set oldpmt=
popdir

PUSHDIR is that it seizes 784 bytes of low RAM the first time it is
run, probably to reserve space for saved paths.

This might be a problem in setups that are already pushing the limits of
low memory.

.   ,-./\
.  /     \     from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
.  \_,-*_/     "Queen City of The South"    34:55 S  138:36 E
.       v