[arachne] Re: <Alt+E> Problems - Files in body

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:25:32 +1030

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 20:29:24 -0500, Eric S. Emerson wrote:

> Hi Greg M.,
>                  You are right that %path% is
> interpreted differently in MSDOS 6.22.

No, I was _not_ saying that %path% is interpreted differently.

I was talking about the way data is handed to command lines from
variables in a batch file.

Take this simple batch file:

set old=%path%
set path1=C:\;C:\DOS;C:\BAT
set path2=D:\MYSTUFF;D:\ARACHNE
PATH %path1%;%path2%
PATH %old%

If you run it with echo on, you will see the fourth line is
executed as

PATH C:\;C:\DOS;C:\BAT;D:\MYSTUFF;D:\ARACHNE

I have tested this in MSDOS 622 and MSDOS7.

It is probably the same in other DOSes. Please would someone test
it under other DOSes and let me know the answer?

So what I was saying is this: If that line has strings handed to
it from the variables %path1% and %path2% that cause it to
overflow the command line buffer, there is no way you can make
the PATH variable longer than the length of the buffer less 5
characters (because five spaces are used up by P A T H <space>).

In MSDOS 622 the max buffer length is 127 characters. In MSDOS 7
it is 1023 characters.

.   ,-./\
.  /     \     from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
.  \_,-*_/     "Queen City of The South"    34:55 S  138:36 E
.       v